If you’re wanting a new roommate, you realize it can be complicated to detect and find the perfect one. You yearn for someone reliable, responsible, and compatible with your lifestyle. How can you be certain that you identify the best possible roommate for you? Here are some tips and tricks to help you out!
- Define what you’re going after in a roommate. Make a list of qualities that are important to you and put it to use as a screening tool when you’re talking to potential candidates. Make sure to include any deal-breakers (things that would make you truly miserable), and make it a point to ask about them when you conduct interviews. Even though you may have an ideal roommate in mind, it’s equally vital to stay as realistic as possible. Setting your standards too high could make it very difficult to spot and find a new roommate.
- Scan your contact list. You possibly know more people than you realize who might be searching for a roommate. Therefore, a perfect place to start is with your list of contacts. Scan your list and see if you already know someone who might make a good roommate. Then reach out and ask them! Letting people know that you are seeking a roommate could end up helping you find someone who would be a perfect fit for your lifestyle.
- Ask friends and family. If you don’t know anyone searching for a roommate, that’s alright! Just ask your friends and family if they know anyone who could be even slightly interested. Chances are, someone you know knows someone looking for a place to rent. Additionally, since your friend or family member also knows you, they could be able to recommend someone you would get along with pretty well.
- Use social media. To stretch and expand your search, try using online resources like Facebook groups, Craigslist, and Reddit to let people recognize you’re in search of a roommate. You can as well post a status update on your own profile or ask if anyone who follows you might know someone. Be clear about what you’re looking for, and be mindful as regards giving out too much personal information.
- Try a roommate locating service. If you’re exerting too much effort to find a roommate on your own, there are services obtainable that can be of help. These services will match you with potential roommates based on your preferences and lifestyle. Several services operate in different ways, and there might be fees involved. Be certain to research any service thoroughly before you sign up.
- Choose the roommate that is the best fit for you and your lifestyle. After you’ve chatted to various potential roommates and checked out their references and rental history, it’s time to make your final choice! If you’re trying to decide between more than one great option, go with your gut feeling and choose the person you think would perfectly fit you and your lifestyle.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.